Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A Night on Firsts

I had heard rumors for some time of this cabin within bikes reach of the city. Now bikes reach can mean different things to different folks. I mean I did make my way out to Brunswick after work one night, but as to not blowout the spot, we shall leave it at that.

Last week, I had a cancellation on my book which gave me the evening to myself, so I peaked a bag hopped on my bike and pedaled a mix of pavement, double and single track before shouldering my bike and walking out into the water to the lonesome isle and it\'s vacant cabin which seems to have not had visitors in 3 years. I looked around a bit before hopping out on the rocks to catch a magnificent sunset. Mosquitos were biting once the sun dropped behind the trees so I headed back up to the cabin, lit some citronella candles and lounged on the porch. Lots of Huey\'s thumped by overhead and frogs chirped. All but a few geese had seemed to have gone to bed. A lone owl howled in the distance as lightning illuminated my surroundings for a moment. Thick clouds obscured a nearly full moon from time to time, however from the moon\'s glow, I was able to make out the clouds bellowing shapes before making another appearance and illuminating the river once again. This would not only be my first night spent out there, but also the maiden voyage of the Sawyer I recently picked up on the super cheap.









1 comment: