Monday, December 12, 2011

4 Ways to Sunday

Ok, I lied. I thought my riding season was done until the new year, but thats not the way it is supposed to go. I left the house at 4:20am headed for harrisonburg on Sunday to do a big ride on Elliot's Knob. All 4 sides and then Crawford Mountain. That is a big ride for this time of year. We met at Mr. Js, the usual spot for riding in the area and made our way out in Matt's van, five of us piled in with the bikes. It may have been the coldest day of the year thus far. 16 degrees as I made my way out of the city and around 30 when we started out riding the road. We turned and climbed up Falls Hollow and then down Cold Spring. From there we rode the Hite Hollow road up and then Left onto North Mountain, once headed for Elliot's A nice dusting of snow covered the ground form much of the ride and filled in some holes between rocks. Stream crossings were running high and dangerously cold on a day such as this, but we all managed to stay dry. On the second round atop Elliot's, we headed all of the way up to staorm the tower. The door on the old fire look-out tower was open and the temp was 75 in there according to the thermometer inside. We warmed up and had food and bevs before venturing back out into the cold bound for Crawford Mountain. The only time I have done these trails was during SDS where I am usually pretty spent by the time I get there. Not to say I wasnt spent, as the contant overheating and chilling was wearing me down, however, I made an attempt at the 5 Sisters, or hike-a-bikes. I cleaned 3 of them which is a personal best for me. Instead of coming down Chimney Hollow, we headed for Crawford Knob where we regrouped and Matt cramped up. The trail coming off that side is great other than the non-stop lashing one gets from the brush. Surprisingly, I didnt have anything to show from the beating. Toward the bottom, the map came out to check the route. Nothing like having the map after the sun has already set. A sketchy road ride back on 42. At least 2 of us had something that resembled a light.

If you did the Tour 2 years ago then you know just how steep this climb is...




Long Shadows...



Helter Shelter...





And in case you live under a rock or for some other reason the news hasnt reached you yet, you are looking at the latest addition to the Race Pace/ Trek MTB Team...

No comments:

Post a Comment