Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Festicle

Yes, folks once again the Shenandoah Fall Mountain Bike Festival was a hoot with fun for the whole family. Friday kicked things off with the traditional Six Pack Downhill on Trimble Mountain followed by dinner and late night hangouts around the campground. Saturday, after breakfast, I got in on some of that good GW Forest riding including some Dowells Draft, Braley’s, Camp Todd, Chestnut, and what might possibly be the last ever ride across Grooms Ridge which is well on its way to becoming Wilderness in exchange to get another bit of land out of hock. The trail was already well grown over and most of us got our arms well ravaged by the brush and limbs which now obscure the route.

Six-pack attack...


Chase on Groom's...


On top of Groom's...




Saturday night, folks are always excited to check out the slide show and then get their groves on. There is always some ribbing of those who sneak off to bed early. Last year, it was Adam and Pat who got it bad. I was actually surprised to see Adam back after the torment Thomas and the angry mob sent his way, but it was Pat who no-showed this year. Adam was left be and the focus was on JV’s Kyle and Kurt. A posse gathered under the pavilion and made it’s way across the field in the cover of night. Kyle’s tent was given a vigorous shaking and then bevs tossed under the rain fly. When this proved unsuccessful, Leo the large labber-doodle, was sent in to do some sniffing around. Did I mention Whitney was in there too? With Kyle playing possum, we wandered over to Kurt’s van with him nowhere to be found. Anyway, we rounded up a couple of “gremlins” aka, little bikes, for the beer crits. After about an hour, Kurt was spotted getting up from the hammock under the pavilion and heading back to his van. He had been passed out right there in plain sight.

Since the focus of the festival is trail work, I figured I would head out to do some on sunday. A new trail heading up to Narrowback is going in, and it is going to be ripping. After a few hours of work, the lot of us headed back to camp for lunch and then out on the Birthday/ JV and friends ride on Lookout then an out and back on the new stuff. I mean how fast do you want roll some flowy, pumptrack, single track? Its your call. Sprinting and chasing insued with some jumping along the way. Kurt and Collin cleared out a drop along the way and were caught in the act by Thomas and I was busted ditching my volunteer slot by the Wolf, which I will say was kindly offered to be picked up so I could ride with the gang.




Back at the campground, things were winding down, which is always a little bit depressing, but I was handed a wad of money from stuff I had sold at the swap. In addition to the Worksman trike that WABA took off my hands on Friday, I sold the Van Dessel, some rims, a fork, maybe the EWR and a bunch of other bits. Finally, I am able to justify buying Ryan’s cross bike. Now if I had only packed the Pugsley to sell…

No comments:

Post a Comment