Thursday, September 8, 2011

Next Time...

The Terror at Teaberry was supposed to be this weekend, but it is being postponed due to rain. Really? It has rained everytime I have raced at Michaux. Pat suspects the Cupcakes are getting soft, but I smell a conspiracy brewing. One that has to do with one Harlan Price being out with a partially separated shoulder (whatever that means)and a series win. Anywho, this will make Teaberry much less terrifying for me as I wont be still hobling about after "racing" 100 miles on a bike that was getting the bugs worked out while testing some new state of the art head gear. Perhaps I can go out and try riding the Ring or do the entire Massanutten ridge from town just before hand so I can properly slum at Teaberry.

So back to this hundred miler of last weekend. I was supposed to go out and ride on monday with Tim, Sue, Andrea and some others, but the rain had other plans. I drove home and slept 18 hours. Under normals circumstances, I might brave the elements for a trip along the North Fork, but I was in rough shape after the hundy and didnt want to risk breaking an ankle in the wet rocks because I was too tired to push through the roughness. And speaking of the North Fork, I was able to get up with Metro this weekend and chat about overnighting out there when the first "moderate" snow of the year comes down. Hopefully, it will be a bit less moderate than the Woodstock/ Waonazee Peak ride we did a couple years back.

After the hundred, I got a righteous massage before passing out and waking up wet due to the rain. I could have used some compression socks but was ill- prepared and only had my depression socks, made of gold velour, which gave me blisters before the first water stop...


Another problem I had was the ventilator on my helmet seemed to blocked by something and I overheated on the first climb. Next year I will make sure double check for proper air flow...


The microdrive seemed like a good idea on paper. The gear inches looked fine, but I didnt account for something called leverage. Pedal strokes felt dead and seemed to take me nowhere. On the bright side, I didnt touch my chainring once during the race.

BYOE. bring your own endurolytes. The aids stations were all out by the time I got to them. At least this one had some salty pretzels and Coke and someone had stashed some E-lytes to make the raging cramps just a quiver in the legs...


Kurt prepares for pass out while Dan gets rowdy...

3 comments: