Tuesday, August 2, 2011

So you are probably wondering why I am not on my way to Pittsburgh at the moment. Well, that trip was circling the drain for a while then on Wednesday afternoon, an hour before scheduled departure, T-watts contacted me to say that Erika took a digger on the ride home from work and was in the ER; that it would be just me and her. Hmmm, 6 days alone with any one person is enough to make me break in out in a claustrophobic fit and after already taking a week off this month for TdB, the idea just didn’t sound too appealing. It ‘s something the oldtimers call “responsibility.” Back to this idea of being holed up (no pun intended) with folks for long periods of time. This is what made the trip to Sedona so great. I usually feel the need to get away and sit by a river or go hike alone, but the folks I traveled with for 3 weeks were on my level. Nobody was running the show, it was just, “hey so and so has got ride going out, wanna go?” or “Anybody want to head out to this old ghost town?” Man, good times. Very rare that I can stomach someone for more than a couple hours, but my cat is easy going and we can spend hours together talking or not talking.

So I finally got my invoice from Todd at Black Cat and my frame is on the way. Oh, I cant wait! On the invoice there was something listed as “special surprise,” at no charge. What could it ever be? Could this be the meat cleaver that comes with the Ginzu knife set? An extra Sham-wow? A DNA test to tell me I am the father? Only time will tell. It’s gonna be a couple of nail biting, suspense filled days and sleepless nights followed up by some picture heavy posts and ride reports. What is super cool is that I have only caught glimpses of certain areas of the bike at certain stages of the process so the whole thing is going to be one big surprise.

Today, was a day off due to poor planning and expected long ride so I headed out to take some photos and do some riding out at Schaffer/ Hoyles Mill/ Black Hills and I found they had done some nice brushing out there. As a matter of fact, I don’t think I have ever seen it so nicely brushed in the years I have ridden there. Now, if they would only saw out that one tree that is at head height and is a total flow killer… The plan was to stick around town and work on saturday and make money, but I guess I got back on the books too late and it looks like a total waste of a day. Should have gone to the Wilderness 101 after all.

The rest of the weekend consisted of several hours of power on the bike, a sunday morning slumber interrupted by images of slithering serpents of all sizes. From the babies dangling from my pack straps to the head filled holes in the ground and one 51 footer (thats 31 feet longer than the biggest recorded, in my dream at least)that had its body spiraling up a tree and and snoozing up above while I crept by. That sream was immediately followed by a trip to the area with the largest concentraion of rattlers this side of the Mississippi, hoping the dream was not a premontion.

I actually did get in a respectable amount of riding this weekend considering the lack of any scheduled rides or races. One might think I am actually training for the hundred. No such luck. Worry not, I will be there, hoping to have a good time and perhaps do some heckling in the process. Also this could very well be the final weekend spent riding the ew-R so i wanted to get my fill. Anyway, I have no images at the moment so I give some that a fellow named Ralph captured at Michaux last week.

I actually look to going fast here. It must have been on the road as the only time I felt as though I was going fast on trail was on the descent down yellow Hill or whatever it is that has the double log drop that got boosted. My finest moment and not a soul to be seen.


Oh yes, the meltdown captured on digital media. Quite the opposite of the last image. I must have been so wasted that I didnt even see the camera as I always try and put on my poker face when other are looking, be it riders or camera folk.

No comments:

Post a Comment