Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sometimes its nice to take things slow and observe what's around you. Often times I when I do this, regardless of how many times I have been down that road trail, or even thought, I will find something new. Something that has been there the whole time, tucked behind a bush or berm, long forgotten, and just waiting for the bullying blade of development to come along and put it out of its misery. For those lucky enough to discover and appreciate what once was, the sadness comes with the idea of just plowing under the old to make way for "progress." Everywhere I look, I see this happening: in the neighborhood in which I work, the suburb in which I grew up and in the woods in which I play. Unlike small villages elsewhere in the world, we seem to be obsessed with the idea of new is better. Talk to any carpenter, stone worker or machinist. Not someone who is trying to build your new McMansion, but a true craftsman. Someone who knows that hardwoods are better than laminates. Someone who knows that concrete needs to be poured quickly and that the chemicals added to keep it from setting up dramaticly shorten the lifespan of mixture.

Anyway, enough rambling about that. I took a plesant spin on monday and observed some things I never notived along a loop I have ridden at least 50 times.

A beautiful forgotten farm house...



Other structures tell of another time...



Always a good sign...


Coolin in the heat...


Mug of the day...



No comments:

Post a Comment