Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Midsummer Season's Slump

Today, another day the alarm awakens me at 7:15am. I lay for a minute while the brain attempts to reboot. I pull the lever on the mental slot machine and the wheels begin to turn. Riding, errands, hiking. No match. I pull this imaginary lever a few more times until the wheels read “back to sleep.” And so I go. Until 1pm. What a waste. This has been the scene all too often. Perhaps that deer tick, whose head still resides in my hand gave me the Lymes. Who knows. Anyway, I got me shit together and went out to Schaffer and rode every inch of that place on both sides. actually I did miss one little stretch on the Black Hill side but it was a short section which replaced with a section that wasn’t quite as short. As usual, I dipped my feet in the lake and cleaned up a bunch of fishing line and hooks from irresponsible fisher peoples. This is a trend I have found in watery places I frequent. It bums me out.

Yesterday, played out very much the same way: wet in the morning which kept me snoozing longer than I would like and took a nice long commute to my parents’ house along the river. Dinner and conversation then back down the canal. I have been riding the canal more than I should as I am planning on riding up to Pittsburg in a month or so and I will probably be sick of it by then. Lately, I have been hunting ducks along the river. Not in the sense of carry a gun and shooting live birds, but looking for these plastic ducks which I believe were once part of the old shooting gallery at Glen Echo Park. So far I have stumbled upon two so I know they are not alone. Yesterday, I caught a firefly in the eye and tonight, I got one in the other eye and it has worked it’s way under my eyeball. gross and painful. I know what you are thinking, “Why don’t you wear glasses? “ Glasses work great for me until I start climbing. You see I climb so slow that they fog up and end up in my pocket anyway. Either way I cant see. And speaking of eyes, the little furry one is going to the doc tomorrow for his eye. Poor guy.

Off on another adventure...


Stumbled upon this lily pond where life was teeming....


Life returns...


Weapon of choice...


Duck, duck...


Goose!


Hiders in the corn...


Night ride home...

No comments:

Post a Comment