Thursday, June 9, 2011

Chamois Free XXC

I don’t really fancy myself a “bike racer,” however I do enjoy the atmosphere and social aspect of them so I do partake every now and again. I was pretty pumped up about racing the Super- D at the HooHa this past weekend, but after I once again choked and got smoked, my excitement for the XXC grew, which Colin had talked me into. It didn’t take a whole lot of arm twisting other than telling me the course went up Caylor’s Knob and down Boone’s run; neither of which I had ridden before.

After Saturday’s Super-D a bunch of us went swimming where I clocked some extra chamois time, before changing, leaving chamois and shorts on Tim’s porch to dry while the lot of us headed out for mexican. After dinner, I did cut some hairs of local clients before heading back to camp and hang some of the JV squad. I was early to rise as I still had to register, realizing chamois and shorts still resided on Tim’s railing. Do I borrow or go without? I figured I would leave it up to chance. If Tim posted, chamois in hand, I ride padded. If not I suffer from my own mistakes. It wasn’t meant to be, so I staged up in cut-off and boxers, but I wasn’t sweating it too much. I have put in some monsterous days this year, so my taint should be callused enough to survive 35 miles.

The XXC took off following a moto lead-out and the air was once again filled with the smell of fun many refer to as “2- stroke.” I started way back in the field and watched as much of the group sprinted down the gravel road. Me worry? Heck no, as I know by now the average mountain bike racer is more motor than skill so I figured I would see many of those folks in the very near future. I picked off 2 riders as soon as we entered the woods and on the first climb up the “new trail,” realized many folks had burned some matches during the first sprint, so feeling fresh I picked off at least a dozen riders before getting up to Caylor’s which would be about as far as I would get in the group. I played leap frog with a couple folks, but was unable to really hold anyone off for the long haul. I rode with Fresh-D for a bit before he took a nasty spill in creek bed and did a bit riding with Chase climbing back up Boone’s until I bonked, took a seat and enjoyed a nice Sambazon Acai shake. Man did that hit the spot.

Nobody to be found as I sat. I started off again, granny gear up until I saw TJ at the intersection who pointed me downhill. I found my groove again in time to take the lap around the camp ground looking fresh and back up the new trail. This is the pro-XC joined our race and the 4 fastest came by me on the climb like I was standing still. Deflating. Across the ridge and down the Super-D course with a slight detour. As I crossed the ridge, medics were walking out a rider with a separated or dislocated shoulder. Funny, I felt faster and smoother after 30 miles than I did in Super-D. Riding up the final rise I yielded to a rider which happened to be Pat, who I didn’t think was going to make it. We chatted in brief as he was on the move as he has been all season. I finished right after him. After a pathetic showing at the Tour de Burg last year, the JV squad redeemed themselves with 4 podium spots including a win by Kyle, edging out perpetual fast guy Harlan Price, a 5th place by Chase and Mr. Consistency, Collin Vento took 3rd in the Super-D and the XXC. I guess that winter out west paid off. Can they keep the momentum going through this year’s Tour?

On saturday I took alot of pictures. A better way to describe it would be that I just used a lot of film. Here is what I was able to salvage.

After laying the smackdown on that 10 year old on the final lap of the short track, I think it might be time to move up to expert... but who am I to say...


Unknown rolling...


I like your style...


A nasty crash and still taking the win? I will expect to see you in expert next year...


Disappointed Collin didnt get a big novelty check for $30. This photo will have to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment