Sunday, May 22, 2011

Judgement Day

I woke up early this morning with a start and then realized I am still here on earth. The thought that perhaps I had just woken up before having the chance to be lifted up passed through my head, so I rolled over and went back to sleep. I woke again at 10am. Shit. Looks like I had been left behind. I decided what better way to waste away than a nice lazy spin around the Watershed, with an emphesis on "lazy." Suspended, geared and button down flapping in the humid air, I stumbled upon a new meandering trail when I went to do a little pre-ride weight shaving. I also came to find that Chad, Pat and Gdowick are aslo still on earth with me, so the punishing rides wont stop. They were finishing up as I was heading out. I slow rolled, hitting some old, familiar trail and some fresh single track as well. After that was said and done, I drove by the downhill trailhead and saw some friends. I was talked into taking a run and even shuttled. Yes, if you know me and my feelings on shuttling, then you know this is proof of the world's end. I dont shuttle. It was fun. Go ahead, judge me for it. I also ate at The Don twice today. I hit some doubles blindly on a trail I had never ridden before, but I was getting a speed check from a friend so I thought my odds were good. I opted to hit a set he didnt hit. Sketchy landing. Just logs, no dirt, knife landing. I would be a bit more cautious after that. Then went to the old house to get what's mine and browsed through the latest issue of Bike Monkey over marinated olives and a pizza.

Oldie, but ripe for the judging...





Yesterday, one couldnt have asked for a more beautiful day. My later clients canceled so I went for a ride up to Great Falls. A couple of chance encounters with a cutie on pink fixed gear and several rolls of film later, the sun began to set and it was time to roll toward home. The river was furious and well out of its banks in areas. The falls were nothing more than brutal rapids and mist. I stopped by the "great escape" to see about the fisherman but the water was too high to get by. I rode up the Chain Bridge and looked over to see fisherman way out on the rocks in heavy surf casting nets and drinking beer. I failed in my attempts to capture it on film but I did get some other images. Ended the day watching "Off Road to Athens." Put me in the mood for today's slacker ride, especially after all of the mile munching I have been putting in. I have ridden the EWR on 4 rides and already worn out a chain and little ring. Kind of glad the heat is rolling in as I am about ready for some "fun hoggin'."

Reminds me of the old south...



Heavy seas...



Words to the wise...


Extravagant traveler...

No comments:

Post a Comment