Monday, April 4, 2011

The Humbler

So here I am, 2 days away from a monsterous undertaking in G-dub with a sketchy fixed gear contraption and a rock eating, technical terrain beast that is lacking a front end. The fork should arrive tomorrow and someone; not sure who that lucky someone is, will supposedly be bringing the caps for my hub to run the thru axle. It's out of my hands at this point. Literally. Today, I met up with some of the usual suspects to get a ride in at the Shed. I think spring has finally arrived as temps were warm and the sun gave way to evening showers and lightning. It was my 5th off-road ride on the fixed gear and with each ride comes new confidence and techniques learned. I hadn't ridden Iceburg since last fall and it was humbling to say the least. The fixie made things even more difficult and somewhat frustrating, but I was able to gain my composure and carry on. Newburg was flowing well and I heard someone say on a previous ride that the intro to it was single speed proof. Challenge accepted. Not far from riding it on "The Humbler" today so another tooth in the rear, combined with 5mm longer cranks, and the ability to ratchet pedal, I think it's 100% doable. Anyway, Supersweet was frustrating dropping, the chain, not once, not twice, but thrice on the way down. What a waste. My arms were nice and blown as they should be. Good to be riding in short sleeves again.

No comments:

Post a Comment