Thursday, March 31, 2011

This week has been madness. All good stuff, but keeping me way busy, eventhough this has hardly been my most lucrative week at work. Apartment search, pressing for bike racks at work after a co-worker caught a guy ripping his bike at lunch time, talking bikes w/ one west coast builder, and riding around town with some new buds. Tonight I headed out on the fixed gear and got stood up; this time it was dudes doing the standing, but I wasnt going let my broken heart get in the way of a ride. I headed out on blue and yellow then ended up way over my head on Kublai Khan and was greatful for the woods dump I took earlier in the ride. Fixed gear riding takes things to an entirely new level of sketchiness, and I am in the thick of it with only 4 off-road fixie rides under my belt. Why you ask? Why the hell not. It changes the game, so that even if you have been riding the same old trail for 10 years, it becomes an entirely different beast when the ability to coast or use a rear brake has been taken away.

The Green Machine at WABA HQ...


Ground scores dont get much better than this unworn fresh mesh...


So I have been borderline obsessed with this Tour Divide thing for about 5 years now and am very close to throwing my hat in the ring and doing it. Perhaps on a fixed gear. Perhaps not. So I ordered this frame about a year ago and now we are talking fork and front rack for single track touring. Front rack only, so you can still get behind the seat and actually enjoy riding the single track, but still be able to carry your bed roll without having to use 10 toe straps to fix it to the handle bars. Anyway, I am super excited about it, and Todd also seems very interested in doing this project for me.

Wait a minute, that doesn't look like no west coast bike...


So last night, I met up with a guy to swap some bike goodies and we got to chatting and he was telling me about his ride the previous day out in NOVA. Ugh. The only time I spend in Northern Virginia is passing through to head out to the valley. Anyway, he was riding with some folks I know out in Accotink and came across a guy sitting in the woods against a tree. They thought it seemed odd and so they stopped. Then they saw the gun in his lap and hole in his forehead. Dude just offed himself. On the one hand, I can sympathize to the turmoil and seemingly endless pain and suffering life can sometime dish out, yet on the other have no love at all for the selfishness and utter disrepect shown to all affected. I find it interesting that during lunch today, the book I am currently submersed in, talked for pages and pages of suicides and it being a sort of tragic personality trait. One experienced by artists who create from this immense pain and suffering they feel, yet are not stuck in such a feeling. I need to reread that passage as it was wonderfully written and descriptive and probably something all could relate to on some level. Someone once told me suicide is permanant solution to a temporary problem. Someone else found it interesting and very odd to hear that I knew several people to take their own lives. It had never even crossed my mind that it might be somewhat abnormal to know even one. I hope to not know another.

No comments:

Post a Comment