Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Starting Things Off Right

With the close of 2010 also comes the wrap- up of the holidays. I always find this time of year to be stressful and I always look forward to its end. To top it all off, I was sick for the last week of the year and was contemplating spending NYE in bed, but rallied and headed to Harrisonburg to hang out at what is to be my new part- time residence and make hot air ballons which we launched to bring in the New Year. Megan's dog Bonnie ran away at midnight, which happened to be within 15 minutes of her showing up at Megan's house 1 year ago. I was suprised at how relaxed Megan was until I got the scoop. I could understand after chatting how she looked at the situation. Bonnie was feral and just came into her life one day and stuck around for a while, and maybe she just decided to bring happiness into another's life, being as sweet as she was. As luck would have it, Bonnie was found by animal control a couple of days later, and will call Megan's place home once again.







Taking tea on NYE...



January 1 brought mild temps and a trip to Fort Valley, riding up Signal Knob, down Bear Wallow. Collin lost several spokes along the way, but only dabbed 4 times on the climb. If you have ridden that trail up, you know just how technical and chuncky it is. Wouldn't you know, I forgot all 3 cameras. Pizza for dinner and hanging with friends at the Lee street house.

13 empty bowls dropping into one another, The bottom one has the best features. Last I skated here I ended up in cuffs...



I remember skating here over 20 years ago and sessioned it early on a 70 degree New Years day several years back...



Speaking of 20 years ago, here is a video from Hounddog of CCCC and other stuff. Check the roll in on the MTB...



And if skating isnt your thing, here is an old clip of Micro, Lawrence and Samboo dominating at Wakefield...



January 2 was not as warm, but still good enough to show some leg and wear short sleeves. A ride up Reddish, and come down Timber and Wolf was on the bill for the day. We parked at "Deer Carcass" which is named for the remains of animals dumped there by hunters. At least the folks in that area dont put them in plastic bags. In addition to the deer, were 2 bear carcasses and one puppy that had a bullet hole in it. The climb up Reddish started with a game of kick the can, flinging trash out of the gutter with the front wheel in an attempt to hit another rider with it. I felt as though I was cheating as I could coast, so I did a good deal of "sympathy pedalling," until we got to Wolf where I couldnt help myself from dropping a knee and pushing into some of those corners. The new stuff is getting burned in nicely other than a soggy bit that could use some armoring. I bonked pretty hard on Wolf and slummed it on the road ride back to team vehicle.










Here comes trouble...








We ran into some friends on Reddish...



Putting the fixed gear skills to the test...





I am pretty sure everyone got roosted with poop...



for 2011...

1 comment:

  1. Okay. First. I didn't realize that Mark McDonald had such kick ass music. Was there a band? And both those videos are fucking where it's at. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete