Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dawn Patrol

Three fifteen in the AM and I awaken, still fifteen minutes until the alarm would sound. I rolled arouund in bed for several minutes, contemplating bagging the ride, but another look out the window, got my stirring enough to got me to my feet. Twenty minutes or so pass, and I am locked, loaded and on the move, making a quick stop at a nearby seven-eleven for some coffee and a donut. The place lloked like it had been ransacked with no donuts to speak of and at least a dozen coffee urns empty with the counter a mess of emptied creamer and sugar packets.

After eventually finding a pot with enough coffee to fill a cup, I made my way to Patapsco to meet Poz and Andy for a snowy pre-dawn, 2- wheeled session. Andy didnt get the memo that this would be a lights-free event so he reoved his light, just as Poz rolled up. Two inches of dry, fluffy soap flakes covered the ground and made any off-camber hill or rock treaturous. There was no moon to help illuminate the forest which, combined with the powder snow, left us with no depth perception. It had been months since I visited the park so I was at a disadvantage to the others riding by braille. Yes, there were spills and nobody would be clearing Pigs Run on this day. We headed across the swinging bridge to try and ride with the TMI group, but a second look at the time and Poz had to get back. We picked saw some lights coming and ended up ambushing the AFC guys on Ridge. We lost Poz and Andy turned the screws and put the hurt on me going up Vineyard but got a wet foot en route to the college.

Andy and I parted ways as the sun came up and I headed for Fairland to be the spoiler there as well. Freshies in the Pits as well, but that pretty much goes without saying. I have only once laid an eyeball on a track there that didnt belong to one of the crew or a moto. Stoked to see someone had been out there with a chainsaw clearing some of the blowdowns. Probably a moto as there was no need for stellar DH technical skills to get over several. Clocked another hour and three quarters or so there. And all of this before heading into work. Someone is going to be racking out early this eve.

Andy shedding some dead weight...



Now where did that swinging bridge go?



The ambush...



Onward...




Old Faithful...



Single track...



"I'm tired and it's a lot of baloney!"

1 comment:

  1. Careful,..that could become your favorite time to ride!

    ReplyDelete