Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Trail Dynamics Trifecta

Yabba dabba dooooo! Just after 6pm on Saturday and I am out the door of my place of employment and in the packed car headed for Harrisonburg. Doing battle on I-66 in Saturday's rush hour traffic (is there such a thing or is NOVA always a clusterf*@k), the thought crosses my mind of why someone would willingly subject themselves to this hell on a daily basis. After about 45 minutes the plug seemed to have been pulled and things began to flow as they should. No visible reason for a delay other than the fact I am driving in Northern Va, which makes me part of the problem. I arrive and am immediately notified that a bunch of people are congregating at the Blue Nile. I ditch a bag or two in the house and hop on the bike to go get my social on as well as solidify plans for the Sunday morning. It was sounding like a decent ride up Camp Todd and down Chestnut which had recently been reworked by the good folks at Trail Dynamics.

I'm not exactly sure how these things work, but if I am not mistaken, the SVBC recently secured a grant for $100,000 to go towards rehabilitating trails in the GW forest. Sunday morning a group 7 of us began to climb up from the new Camp Todd trail head and continue upward for an hour and a half or so, regrouping several times to take in the views. At the ridge, we made a right and started down Chestnut which had been partially reworked. The reworked sections were smooth and flowy, but then you would just end up back in the old rowdy ravine that is the old trail. I am sure by the time spring rolls around, the lines of demarcation will have faded quite a bit and the the less ridden lines will begin to grow in.

Most of the group peeled off left toward Wild Oak where a couple of cars were dropped while Jen and I kept right and made our way out to get some extra credit on Tear Jacket, which had been reworked from top to bottom by Trail Dynamics. It was looking good on the way up and I stopped several time to admire the benching on the trail. These guy build with 2 machines and a couple of guys doing the finish work by hand just behind the machines. With nothing more than cookies consumed all day, I bonked hard on the way up. I took my time as Jen moved ahead. We began our decent just as the sun disappeared behind a nearby ridge. Greek dinner back in town at Dave's then cruising around town for a bit.

Monday, I ran into Branch while getting breakfast and made ride plans. I had to wait for the shop[ to open so I could swap for a shorter stem and rode up Reddish Knob and down Timber and Wolf. Reddish is a pretty comfy 7 mile road climb which is on the other side from the Death Climb on hundred. This was the first time I had been on Timber and really enjoyed it. Gnarly rocks near the top and undulating down to the beginning of Wolf. Timber was pretty clear and rolled fast considering all of the leaves were off the trees. The top of Wolf was deep with leaves and kind of sketchy until just above where Lynn trail comes in. Wolf was ripping from here on out. For those of you who don't ride out there on the regs, Wolf is the first DH in the hundred. It rolls for a while and the you USED to ride a washed out fall line trail, which has been reworked into a 5 minute pump track session through trees berms and rollers. It is soooo good. Is only been about a month, but you can see the lines getting burned in. This was followed up by 10 tacos at El Sol before returning to DC.

Breathe...




Staged atop one of Chestnut's undulations...




Bell...



A camping spot along Leading Ridge...




Jen on Leading Ridge...




The sunsets as I bonk on Tear Jacket...




Kurt making tight cicles...

No comments:

Post a Comment