Sunday, November 28, 2010

I had been excited about getting a good bit of riding over the Thanksgiving week, but Thursday and Friday were both washed out. People seemed timid to commit to anything for Saturday and hoped to convince some folks to ride in the Elizabeth's Furnace area. As luch would have it, I had 3 takers for Sat and as many for Sun. Pat, being the overacheiver he is, got there early and knocked out Signal/ Bear Wallow as a warm up ride. Plan was to ride on to Buzzard's, but I was less enthused about it knowing my tire repair was precarious and I would then be forced to run my one and only tube at a higher than ideal psi for the type of riding in Fort Valley...

Pat getting some bonus points for his line choice on the climb up Sherman...



Signage on the ridge...



Somewhere before my tire tear en route to Shawl Gap...







I should have left it alone...



Bad touch and sidewall hemorrhage...



Pat taking the highline...




Pat rolling down Shawl Gap...











This time of year, the sun hangs low making photography difficult at times as I find myself shooting right at the sun which leads to some washed out images. But still I take the shot, not so much hoping for the perfect photo, but to document a perfect day. A day spent with friends in the woods on bicycles. Not just a brief stroll around the park but getting out into country, where I forget about the city life and my problems related to it. What is important is what is really important in the world. Warmth, food, water and shelter.

We had a discussion during our gravel road spin to Short Mtn about whether or not humans have instincts. It was interesting to listen to the different thoughts on it and I came to the thought that we have have them, but they are askew. That we are so overstimulated all of the time that we lose touch with our instincts and what really is important in life. Spend a couple of nights outdoors and it all comes back. I think its why I love my getaways on the weekends. It helps me to keep my life in perspective and I am able to look back at my week and laugh at myself for getting so wrapped up in my job or in some other drama of the world. Not that I dont take my job seriously. I love my job and I love to do my best and learn while I am there, but my job isn't going to fix the world or save a life anymore than my bike ride will.

So it has been a long time in the making, but here is my tire rant. If someone in the tire industry is listening, not everyone who rides a 29er lives one the west coast or rides buff trails. I had ridden WTBs for a while, just for the large volume of the front. After those tore, a friend gave me a Bontrager 29.3 which was great for the 30 days it lasted. I tried another. Same. 30 days. That starts to add up after a while. I figure I would give the WTBs another chance. Tore both within 50 miles. I have tried some tires along the way that arent even worth the time of mentioning. One ride on smooth trail and tearing etc. Nevegal is currently under investigation and toying with the idea of layering the inside of some tires with various materials in hopes of creating a thicker casing. Best casing yet is the bonti FR3 but combined with the worst tread pattern ever it's still just mediocre. I know I am but a small minority but its a blower to constantly be buying new rubber. Enough about tires already. Here is a taste of the madness that is Short Mountain.


The Wolf rolling the ridge...



I handed the camera off to Collin so I could take "Tiny Dancer" off the diving board...




Tim sessions a stoney section of Short Mtn while Collin looks on...




Tim climbing through the rocks...




What do you mean we still need to pack 4 people in here?




Rollin'!

2 comments:

  1. Great pictures and good insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another set of great pics thanks for sharing. I love riding the East & West ridges of the Nutt. Just when you think you know how to ride a bike the mountain will humble you differently. So much beauty to see & such a simple drug that keeps you coming back for more.

    For tires I’m with ya, the consistent replacement from botched tread or shredded sidewalls is f’ed up. For bigger volume have you tried the Maxxis 2.4” Ardent with the “EXO something” sidewalls? I’m also saving some pennies for some 2.4” Racing Ralphs I think those come in beefed up walls also. The Conti Mtn. kings in a 2.4” have served me well enough as have the 2.5” Weirwolf it looks like you’re rolling in the pics but neither of those are bombproof.

    Peace,
    Metro

    ReplyDelete