Friday, November 12, 2010

Fear and Self Loathing in the District

Its been a roller coaster of a week, emotionally speaking, but even the highs had a somewhat melancholy tint to them. I will admit, most of the situations were brought on by your not so humble narrator. Patience on the wane and feelings of anxiety; built up over time and beginning to boil over. I need to blow off steam. Tomorrow looks bleak on the books as far as finding anything like serenity at the work place, but I expect to be running out that door just after 6, climbing in my packed mobile and mashing the accelerator and not letting up for 140 miles when I arrive in Harrisonburg and can breathe once again. I have gotten in a routine of big days of rigorous efforts, which is actually proving to be a double edged sword, as 2 hours of riding, even if I am being dragged around Patapsco for those 2 hours, no longer provides the much needed release of stress. It maybe time again to dust off the old yoga mat and take some bikram classes.

So, yes, back to the issue at hand here. Getting out for some needed energy burning. I mentioned in my posting that I was bummed to miss the Invitational/ Fixed Universe Champ, as well as the final Beer Run Super D in Michaux. Here are some images courtesy of the Branch manager...

Fresh d would be aboard the Navigator...



And end with an injured wing as the result...



Rager at the JV Headquarters...





Kurt gets busy on the wall at JVHQ...



Shoe blowout...





Meanwhile, back in Patapsco I rode with the Maryland crew for a high paced 2 hour spin which also happened to be the maiden voyage for my mean green, twin top tubed machine. Ride highlights included Gdowik putting the hurt on with his cross bike and riding the techy sections, friendly folks walking dogs, and Andy body surfing for a good 20 feet down a rock face on his ankle bone and hip. Somehow, his Air Force managed to avoid showing evidence of even the slightest abrasion while my camera managed to avoid capturing the slow motion acrobatics which came to a hault right at my feet. If only the rest of us had access to govt issue cycling apparel. I also did a bit of recon on the way home. Sunny sunday, autumn afternoons are probably not the wisest time to go exploring. I returned to my car to find a cop staking out my vehicle. I rolled up from the road, greeted him and proceeded to load my bike up and drive off. Just act like you own the joint, give the magic wave/ nod and carry on. Photo dump...



Heading up the one known as "No Dab"



Gdowik making short work of the rock slab on "Andy's Trail"




Strange life form...



Look up at the bees nest...



Nothing like an adventure to break in the new ride...





Frolicking female figure, under trains and between lanes...



Morbidly humorous...




Here is to hoping for a more interesting post this coming week.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looove these pictures nathan. not quite sure where homer fits in..still ok with it though.

    ReplyDelete