Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Stokesville Revisited

Not much time has passed since my last stay at the Stokesville campground for the SM 100. With those fond memories still fresh in my head, I once made my way west into the Shenandoah Mountains to call this place my home for a few more nights this season during the Shenandoah Mountain Bike Festival. I had no idea what to expect other than getting the chance to spend a little time with some good folks on bikes. Pat and I arrived early on friday to get a ride in with Worm, Thomas, AJ and Pat on a reworked section of Wolf Gap which is like riding a 10 minute pump track. I followed close to Thomas hoping to catch his ride with the helmet cam which was on the wrong setting. I havent been doing so well with this so far.

That was followed up by the 6- pack downhill on Boy Scout. I rode the Pugs which handles something like a school bus so trying to rip down this trail with corners that fade away was somewhat interesting to say the least. Poz was cued up behind me and I know he would make up that 30 seconds and pass me. Sure enough, I heard him coming and before he could even ask I was rolling on the soft stuff to make room. He blew the next corner and I saw him hiking out of the woods. He finished just 18 seconds off the top time of Carpong follewed by Fresh D. The running of Navigator was the highlight of the event. The Navigator is a step through commuter bike that the previous week's winner must ride. It currently has 2 plates welded to it where it has broken twice, but that adjustable stem still holds firm. It went down twice, busting the chain and caught huge air off the final jump. Tim followed it with helmet cam rolling and played the video for all after dinner on saturday.

AJ is a fellow alternative pedal user. Toe clips and double straps... I liked him immediately. Rips the DHs and is all albows and knees from behind...




Female ripper, 6-pack attack...




Dinner was waiting back at camp before hanging around the fire and pit bike slalom which was dominated by Matt Smith. Joel and Kurt duked it out for the 16" version of King of Dirt. The unofficial results give Kurt best trick for flatty table tops and X-ups but Joel didnt let it go easy. He almost took a trip to the hospital for his attempted barspin and nailed it for the big air portion.

"Set em up; riders ready, watch the light..."



Mike was on fire as usual...




Two battles on one photo...



Kurt...




Joel...




Saturday started off with a ride on Lookout Mountain with Worm's dog Seb which has a great mix of terrain. Worm fletted twice and Andy bit it hard after clipping a tree and ended up 50 feet down a hill. Back to camp to drop Seb off before riding Buck Mountain downhill which doesnt appear to get much traffic. Seb got into some food he shouldnt have while we were out and spent the rest of the weekend on his pillow sick. Poor guy. The others got another loop in but I headed back for dinner duty. Poz joined as his derailuer was holding on by a thread. After dinner was the slide show which was a big hit containing many photos from North Fork and Massenutten.

I hungout late with my friends from Harrisonburg while they blew it out for one more night. Thomas came and asked where my crew was. I told him they had gone to bed and he said "No, no, no. They are camping down at Yellow Jacket again arent they?" He went down there and woke everyone up and brought them back up to party with him. They snuck off one by one and eventually I did the same. I was sacked out for maybe 30 minutes when I hear Carpong's bullhorn in the distance. "Pat Miller and Adam Childers something, something." It repeated over over and over and it got louder and louder. I peeked out the side of my tent to see a mob of people making thier way to our campsite. Tim started to get on Worm but I quickly heard a voice call out, "Nah his dog is sick, leave him be." Adam got it bad. He was sacked out in the car and I could heara Thomas giving him the third degree. Carpong jumped up and down on the car and Thomas threated to flatten all of his tires tire if he didnt give up Pats's new location. Pat knew it was coming and moved deeper into the woods and was never found. I heard some air being let out Adam's tires but he held fast. The mob eventually went back to the fire where I would later join them.

Thomas the ring leader...



Pat knew it was coming...



Adam awakens...



Sunday was back to the Gnarly North Fork which is one of favorite trails out there. Great flow, rocky, technical and the best views in the region. None of the Baltimore crew had ridden it before and all were blown away by the views.







Cant get enough of this...




Still got more to sort through.

3 comments:

  1. Townes says it all.

    So does the North Fork

    ReplyDelete
  2. WIth a story and photo's like those I have a deeper understanding of your absence at the WRT the following Monday.

    I didn't even know that you had a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I thought I would be able to pull it off, but after a shower with a full belly, I knew I would be down for the count. All of this time and you never knew?

    ReplyDelete