Sunday, October 3, 2010

North Fork full pull

I awoke early this morn, 4am, and loaded up the car to head out to WVA for the North Fork awareness ride. I rolled through the 'Burg and stopped at Mr. J's for some grub and ran into a familiar face who pulled me aside and told me a group was heading out early to ride the whole trail rather than just the last 6 miles. There was not really a decision to make as I had driven over an hour thirty already with another 45to go, so I was up for maximizing time in the saddle. It had been heavily brushed and was rolling fast and flowy. About 5 miles in Ed ripped of his deraileur hanger, so out came the spares to see which would be the best fit. Too many cooks in that kitchen so I too of my own business. After some trial and error, we got the drivetrain back in order, but then we found some major play in the rear end. Wheel? No, wheel seemed good. Ah, main pivot. We put wrenches on it and it just spun. Puzzling... Then I realized that the cap/ nut had blown off and we had been putting a wrench on the spindle that is supposed to have caps on either end. A couple heavy duty zip ties were installed and much to our satisfaction, the bike had no other issues.

I had never ridden this section before and it was good and fast. The ride was really fast until it wasnt. Then we were waiting. It was kind of a bipolar experience. Full on race pace for 20 minutes, then 20 minutes for a view and food or for a flat. Our intention was to start early make good time and catch the main group, but it was questionable whether or not it was going to go down that way. There are some really spectacular views along this trail and some fantastic sections of chunky, flowy, rocky goodness. Probably wise not to try and enjoy both at the same time. We never did catch the group, but they were still at the lot when we arrived. Here are a couple images when I wasnt on the coals.




I had to do a bit of scrambling for this one...



Matt on edge...



Ed checks out an old antenna of some sort...




I forgot to pack my hanglider...



Carp, scopes out a line...



Lunchin'...



Back for more this weekend, hopefully with better lighting.

2 comments:

  1. lunchin' shot is real good. looking forward to this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last pic is fucking orgasmic.

    ReplyDelete