Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Too much of a good thing?

In an attempt to put this age old question to bed, I made plans to spend yet another sunday riding the North Fork. I spoke to some folks earlier in the week about either doing the full pull with shuttle, or doing it as an out and back overnighting on the ridge. Rumor had it there was a shuttle lined up and I headed out after work saturday to spend the night in the vicinity of the trailhead as to avoid the need to get up before the sun. I gassed up in Warden where I successfully avoided the trouble them good ole' boys were trying to start and got out to 33 where I began looking for a spot where I wouldnt be peeped by passers by and found what looked to be where the road once ran through; now just a patch of chest deep grass. I pulled in and rolled out my bag in the back of my truck and started to get comfy. I heard a car peel out and headlights shot back and forth in the road until I heard the car screach to a halt with its headlight pointed in my general direction over the small rise before they shut off. I jumped over the driver seat, turned the key and pulled out without lights and keeping off of the brake. Lots of sketchy redneck activity, probably due to the heavy booze consumption on the first day of hunting season. Anyway, I spent the night right in front of the gate at the trailhead as the moon shined and the wind whirled through the open sunroof above. Before we get into this week's ride, here are some more from last week.

Pat captured a great perspective...




Pat and Tony coming in hot...



Poz in the thick of it...



Tony caught me in the same spot...



Circling the drain (Pat foto)...



Poz exits unscathed (Tony foto)...




There was a good sized group in the morning including Marshall, Carp, a few guys from Richmond, 6 Fooftowners, Sue George, and a few others I know I am forgetting. Nobody I spoke to was there however which made me a bit nervous, as they were my contact as far as a shuttle goes. I had $40 in my pocket in case I needed to bribe someone at the far end. The group made much better time and I rode with Fooftown much of the time. It was another perfect day up on the ridge and I dont think there was anything that could have been better about it. Perfect temps, nice breeze, sunshine with a few fluffy clouds, spectacular views and top notch trail.

The ride rolled on stopping for the occasional overlook and eventually we caught up to the tail end of the main group at the top of Redman. As we rolled on, traffic got heavy and we came to an overlook where several friends were hanging out. Our group was pretty think now and rode each other's wheels to the downhill. Everyone walked the big move Poz and I were attempting the week before and I rode into the shute, but didnt make the tight right hander. I took about 5 shots at it before pushing on. I chilled on the downhill and met the group at the the lot. We hungout and discussed getting the shuttle until Carp suggested climbing back up the downhill to take another swing at it. Carp, PJ, Jennifer and myself climbed up and stopped a couple times to chat with folks coming down. We made our way up to the overlook where we met up with Tim, Sue, Trevor, Joel and a couple of others. We rolled the downhill in tight formation which I am always a big fan of. You place your trust in the rider in front of you because it is all you can see. Good times.

We got a shuttle back to 33 where I scooped up the car and gave Jennifer a ride back to the 'burg. Kurt lives in her house and we chatted for a bit before the 3 of us went out for dinner. A nice ride back and more hanging out at the house with other locals. I didnt get out of there until after 1030. Here are some images from this week...

The view to the west with company coming...






I managed to find the only thicket along the entire trail and go face first into it...



A run-in during extra credit...



This was waiting for me at work the other day...



You will have to wait 'til next time to see what's in the box...

2 comments: