Sunday, September 12, 2010

Terror in Teaburry

Things were looking bleak with a wet start to this 40 miler, especially after yet another round of pre-Michaux self mutilation. A Le Mans start kicked things off and I made sure to be in good posisition once I got into the woods. I was around 15th going in as Im a crappy runner due to previous injuries, but I was happy with it. Plenty of time to make it up. I rode conservatively and kept some strong riders in sight to gauge my tempo. I found myself ahead of some folks that typically leave me in the dust. Roger Masse's seat bag broke early on and I saw him hiking back for it. Theo was stopped along the way cleaning his spectacles, and Kyle Lawrence? Where the heck was Kyle? This seemed to be his kind of terrain as he spends alot of time ridge riding down in the 'Burg. It was my kind of day with slippery rocks and some big moves. I knew folks would be walking but I rode 90% of everything and made up lots of time doing so. I made my way into the top 10 and began to pick off riders. Big rocks moves were cleaned with ease but it was a little stick put me over the bars, straining my shoulder again, but it got the adrenalin pumping and I got back on it. A couple miles and riders later I sliced the tread on my 10th Bontrager 29.3EXP of the season. I really wanted to like this tire, but buying new rubber every month is kinda rediculous. I watched all that hard work go down the drain as I put a tube in and added the traditional penalty psi, but could never get my grove back. I bounced off every rock and finally experienced another flat by way of thorn. Poor prep left me with a patch kit, but nothing to inflate with. I rode a bit on the flat and walked for several miles before I got to the aid station; shoulder throbbing and stiff. "Main Force Patrol, we're out of the game; unable to continue pursuit..." I inflated my slow leaky tube and took the road back to the lot with another rider after spending some time chatting up Lee and watching other riders pass through. One minute cock of the walk, the next a feather duster. A big shout out to Pedro for lending me the funds to register as I only had a card. Karma paid off as he made some cash today. Nice work.

Monday: Shoulder is really sore and stiff. Hard to get out of bad, but finally findng some lessons to learn here. Im one lazy son-of-a-gun, so I ride a single speed so as to not have to do the post ride work a geared bike needs, yet there are some minor things that should be done on a semi regular basis. For instance, make sure Stan's sealant isnt all dried out in the tire. How can a puncture or slice seal if nothing is sloshing around to seal it with; and regular nut and bolt checks are not a bad idea, especially before undertaking something as big as the SM100. A couple from Harlan...



Cameron Dodge...


Stylin...








Here are some images Tomi captured...

Unknown entering the woods...



Unknown on the coals...



Your's truely in pursuit...



Churtle ruling it in the homeland...





Mark still celebrating (mid race) his win at Rattling Creek...

2 comments:

  1. Great write-up Nate. Sorry I didn't have what you needed when we met up. Hope to ride with you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a hard man Nate
    See ya back here in Meeshow for some of the fall/winter fun rides...

    ReplyDelete