Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Now that the sympathy has subsided and I no longer resemble something from Wild Zero or any other zombie movie for that matter, (it just happens to be my favorite) I out fitted my replacement Specialized helmet with a helmet cam I bought a couple of months back. I was heading out to the watershed once again in hopes of getting some footage amoungst the rocks, hoping to catch some folks getting in a bit too deep with the opportunity of fame and fortune following 6 inches behind them. I was supposed to meet 4 or 5 of my riding buddies for a few hours' spin on a wonderfully quiet morning. It started early for me, 430 in the Am to be exact as I had been prepping for a different kind evening/ day, which we will discuss at another time, so I had to sort out my gear as well as myself before heading out the door.

8AM and Pat was the only person who showed. Not even Tony or Andy posted for the ride they put together so we began our climb up Trail of Tears to head across to the Gambrill side in search of Kublai Khan. It took a minute to locate as I had only skimmed over the directions and that was at least a month back. The camera rolled as did the bikes down this gradually decending trail. It's more of a Super-D type trail with a bit of pedalling and some tight tricky moves along the way. A fine alternative to the old school DH brakeburning, fall-line garbage where any 20 something with a fat trust fund can buy his way into the fast guy club. Yes, this trail is no waste of elevation, eventhough it dumps you into the void where the blue bottoms out. Earn those turns my friend. We rode back along the road, took Knucklebuster over to Little Cannaan/ Enchanted Forest and rode some OG Frederick Freeride goodies, cameras rolling once again. Pat was trying to drop me, but I know every little nook and cranny on that trail and was able to reel him in again. I was really stoked to see what it looked like on video as I have seen it for almost a decade only from the pilot's seat; much of the time just inches off another's wheel. Pat made it through cleanly and I picked my way through some B and even C lines to mix things up a bit. We then decided to go try one of the DH trails we hadnt ridden yet to get over to Death March and what a waste. Not a single feature on the entire trail. Just steep and rocky fall line stuff. Ah, yes, I'm beginning to remember why I stopped riding DH. After 12 years, I still cant wrap my head around why people love riding trails like that. Back in the Whitetail days ('98 & '99) I can remember riding this trail called The Funnel, which was technical as all get out and I had to bargain with people to get them to ride it. They would just want to ride fast washed out stuff. Whatevs.

Anyway, at the bottom, I pointed out the spires that Poz and I rode a couple months back which is crazy intimidating from the bottom, but it is 100% ridable. We climbed up Death March and ripped the turns down Supersweet back to the cars.



No, sadly enough, this video was not taken with my camera as I hadnt properly installed an SD card, so for now, I give you a rider with mad skills egtting his bike dance on. For those who dont know me too well, technology and I dont get along so well which makes this video that much more appropriate. As I write this, I am send a text via my 2 way pager. That's right, I have done away with the cell and taken things back to 1998. I am currently in a technological regression. Next step, limiting the social networking and internet time.

Monday was a beautiful day in the Pits. I havent spent too much time back there since the winter made short work of the Tubby Loop, but the motos seem to have been busy burning in some new trail. One of these days, I am going to have to get me one of those trail building tools. The trails may be sandy, blown out in sections, overgrown in others, and not terribly difficult; there is something about the place that has a feeling all its own. The knowledge that you will not run into another cyclist or hiker out there. Remembering that I am on my own in a place I am not supposed to be and possibly amoungst others who arent supposed to be there. There is an excitement that comes each time I go back and explore new corners to ride. All in all, a pretty darn good way to spend a monday. I brought the Fisheye 2 and got few images.

On the move in the sand...



Chillin' by Tubby's...



Random chair torching...





These didnt make it out alive...


















I saw this fellow riding a heavily loaded bike so I decided to chat him up and get the skinny. Turns out, he is at a Japanesse University and is spending his vacation riding across the states. He began his journey in LA 38 days ago and will be spending a couple of days here before going to see friends in New York. I offered him a place to stay and gave him my number. Although our conversation was brief, it put a smile on my face. I hope you have enjoyed your ride and maybe you come across this page to see a photo of you through my lens in my city.






Just a reminder...



That is all

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the call out Nate. Tony, Chad and I did show- I think we got there right after you guys started. I am blaming this on Pat, a)because hes a great person to blame stuff on and b)because he was radio silent all morning- we thought you guys had gone to Virginia.

    Anyways- Tony and Chad had a great ride that day. My bike stopped working, I tried to break it in half on a tree and had a total mental meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a strange individual sitting in Pat's driver's seat when we got back to the cars who let us know you had been there. I must admit, Im a little bummed I missed the meltdown, but would have been even more disappointed thinking I caught on video to find out there was nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The "Meltdown" was classic. Chad and I hear a terrible collision in the distance, knowing that Andy was on shaky ground we stopped to see if he was 'ok'. A few calls with no response and we were going to turn back but noticed a large figure with bicycle on shoulder moving toward our position. Anger raged in the forest and animals scattered with fear, it was very strange, as if we were experiencing the fleeting moments before a tsunami or earthquake. Upon arrival he informed us of his frustration and told us the tale of violently launching his bicycle into a tree, the aluminum collision we heard early. If not for littering I am convinced he would have left his bicycle there, in the forest, to rot and decay walking home in his cycling shoes. Shortly after we parted ways, Andy attempting to pedal his damaged steed back to the car via fire road and road while Chad & I enjoyed 10-15 more minutes of flow on Pit & Viper. Then we set Pat up with a ride home from fake Pat. Good Sunday Funday - sorry we missed you guys, next time hit me up on the pager.

    ReplyDelete