Sunday, April 25, 2010

Heavy Flow in Frederick

As I drifted in and out of my slumber through the night, the constant patter of rain drops soaked my spirts, as today was to be my first ride back in the dirt since I broke my finger 3 weeks ago. I recieved an email from Tony saying that he still planned on riding, but even this morning I had my doubts if anybody would actually come out as the rain continued while I packed up the car. As I passed through Mountaindale, the fog was heavy in the early morning light which made things feel even more still than they were. I was a bit nervous about how my finger would fare, but as Tony, Poz and myself began to climb The Trail of Tears, I didnt even notice the injury. We made good time coming across the ridge to Salamander and took the road over to Sand Flats and New Blue, where we ran into Mrs. Poz and Debbie(?) chatting up Joe, Dave and a couple other guys who had been out for recon hike. The ladies told us to go first as they packed up the jelly beans they shared with us. Tony made a comment about flatting which rubbed off on me as I pushed heavy into the turns and sliced tire #3 for the year on sharp rock. Poz clicked a fab shot of the wife passing while I booted and tubed the tire before making our way over to Skink where Poz on his 29er with 1.9 semi slicks pulled out a huge move on the big rock pile. As he reached the top and tried to apply a bit of power to make the turn, the hybrid tire began to spin, but rather than just gassing it, he tried to ratchet but couldnt hook up so he hopped, spun and hopped again until he was able to give it some pepper without peeling out. Nice work!

There was much rock flicking on the day and Tony scored big tattooing Poz's new 29er with a respectable sized rock. From Skink we looped around the golfish pond and took single track up toward sand Flats where we rerode the only 100 yards of the day and took the miserable, washed out blue DH where a rhododendron quickly reminded me that my finger is still not all better before crossing Delauter. We climbed more blue trail and made the right at the hill's crest riding an old ladder trail down, and remembering exactly why I hate ladders. There used to be a ladder that came down off a large rock and as I came up to the edge saw it was now gone. Its a good thing I dont out ride my line of sight. The ladder platform further down has been sketchy for sometime now and I know better. Last year I was atop it riding slowly along and felt it swing some 6" inches or so and heard the gasps of those watching. The main support collapsed as I was up there, but somehow I managed to hang on and ride it out. Anyway, lest I digress. Up lower Canaan and across the top and down Little Canaan. The rocks are so much more interesting when things are soggy. Stay off them brakes and let it roll! Since Poz had his road tires on, I yielded to his judgement and we took the road over to Iceburg. I was pretty well blown after a couple more miles of rock flicking and we had replenished our calories before proceeding. I didnt push my luck this time as that how I got into the pickle with my hand in the first place. I took it easy on the first half but felt superb and relaxed on the second with only one dab 20 feet from the end. Scarcely seen Tony had the hammer down and Poz had his second flat and seeing as we were out of spares, opted to just head down Supersweet. At the bottom, I rolled up the rock to hit the drop and spun getting on it and then again pedal dropping it and took an easy digger on my swellbow. An easy spin back to the car before calling it a day. We need to plan a full Fredrick tour, including the Gambrill side, before things get too hot.

Tony and Poz warm up the legs en route to the the trailhead...



Poz climbing The Trail of Tears...



Tony after a wardrobe malfunction...



The boys disappear into the fog on the ridge...



Tracy looks like she likes the new bike. Me hating life in the background with tire tear #3 of the year. Poz foto...








Poz with a flat along Little Canaan...



Tony dabs while Poz rides the B-line on Little Canaan...





I handed the camera off to Poz who risked life and limb hunkered down in the run-out for this shot. Wet, mossy rocks and broken finger drop on Little Canaan. Too stoked riding this trail again to pass it up...



Well, he was riding 1.9s. Two Pinch flats on the day, eventhough he was running them at high pressure. Tony, who made us nervous by constantly letting air out of his tires, didnt flat. Flat #2 for pos on Iceburg...



Deer carcass dumping seems to be a favorite past time of the locals, but at least these werent in plastic bags..



Double exposure. Bones and buzzards...



A couple from around town...





Last night was back up to Fredders for a MORE evening ride which I guess didnt happen or I somehow missed, but since I was there I thought I might as well put in some solo mile. I dropped a tooth on the rear cog to see how it felt with mixed feelings. the long climbs were a bit more painful, but the techy stuff seemed easier with more ground covered when I got my ratchet pedal on. Chalk up a 4 dab run at dusk on Iceburg. Rode Skink by the full moon and only ran lights for around 15 minutes. Would like to do more night riding out there.

2 comments:

  1. Nice report and great photos! We were reconning the reroute for that piece of blue that is now destroyed. Stay tuned for trail building days in the near future (hopefully!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the first time I had ridden that section of Blue since last year. Trashed beyond recognition. Keep us posted on trail work days.

    ReplyDelete