Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Deep Cold

I was awakened periodically during the night by gusts of wind dislodging dead tree branches and relocating trash cans throughout the neighborhood. When I awoke at 6am, still wind burned from the previous nights commute, I was half tempted to bury my head in the covers and attempt to re-enter my slumber, as the gusts continued to roar. I made two thermoses (thermi?) of hot tea to carry on the bike, grabbed coffee and donuts for the drive and made my way toward Frederick. I met some of the fellas at Sand Flats where my thermometer read 7 degrees at departure time. On the ridge the gusts howled at 25+ mph making for a pretty chilly ride, yet the whole crew was pretty well prepared and we all managed to stay pretty warm. 2"-4" of snow fell on New Years Eve so we were laying down fresh tracks for most of the day. There were some spills and only a couple mechanicals, including Don's front flat, Rick's froze hose (camelbak) and Don and I both experienced temperature related camera issues. The early morning sun made for spectacular sights and difficulty holding a line, as it was easy to get distracted by the surrounding beauty. Regardless of the snow and ice, we rode the usual suspects including, Skink, Iceburg, Newburg, Pit/ Viper, Ridge and Salamander with some big moves made and even bigger moves attempted but foiled by the slow and slick conditions underfoot. We ran into a fattire friend along the way toting a containing coffee he had Irished up to keep warm. We spoke briefly and were once again on our way. I was laying with some features on the camera so in addition to it freezing up, I missed several shots, as I wasnt used to the equipment yet. Anyway, enjoy...



Don on the move...





This is Iceburg...



Mr. Potts sporting some fresh pogies...



I caught Jimmy T with his hose out...



The roads were kinda hairy...

1 comment:

  1. Looks like it was another good time, I am bummed I missed the ride, unfortunately the exploits from the previous night caught up with me.

    ReplyDelete