Monday, June 15, 2009

Beached

If you live in the Mid-Atlantic, then you know there has been no lack of moisture as of late. I was hoping to get out on the bike yesterday, but A) didnt want to damage the saturated trails, B) had no interest in riding road, and C) wanted to make a day of it. I decided to head out to Assateague National Seashore and ride out on the OSV zone with the option to camp out there. I reserved my spot at the end of the beach, right next to the wildlife refuge. It was sunday afternoon so, most people were packing it in. Along the way, I almost mixed it up with a guy who wanted to engage in a game of chicken in his F250 while passing another truck, then wanted to fight me after saying something to him about it. He was showing his kids how to stand up for themselves as he explained it in a less than friendly manner. I told him he won which seemed to satisfy his ego, so after parting ways with father of the year, I resumed my ride along the shore. This was the first beach ride to date on my new Pugsly and was quite impressed for the most part. 15 miles out, with plenty of time to read, write and take in the solitude at the far reaches of the accessible shore line, and 15 back.Here are some images I captured along the way.

Ahhh, the fresh ocean air...



Proper attire required...



Assateague is known for its wild ponies...



And its bugs...



Step behind the dunes, beyond the reaches of the ocean breeze, you may find more...



Texture...



Saw some interesting tracks...



And left some as well...



There was fungus among us...



Retreating at sunset...



Ditto...

__________________

No comments:

Post a Comment