Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Nostalgia

I have been reliving some of the old BMX days by talking to some folks and catching up with some old racing buddies via vintagebmx.com and got me to sorting through some pics I have. Most are in boxes and need some heavy sorting and scanning, but some photos of the transitional period between the 20" and mtb are on the computer so I will take this op to share.

It used to be that every spring, I would blow off what ever commitments I had (school, work, etc...) to go down to Florida for about 2 weeks to participate in nationals on back to back weekends. There was usually little money in pocket and Andy and myself would go down with enough cash for one weekend's entry fees plus a little something for food. Without fail, we would end up not making it back racing and be left scrambling throughout the week trying to get enough to register and eat the rest of the week. We would often stay on floors of houses and apartments of good people we didnt know and sometimes buffet barging (sneaking into all-you-can eat buffets)for food. Fireworks, crazy ex-wives, wrestling matches, and encounters with hosts who turned out to be homosexuals who got the wrong idea were to be expected on tour in Florida. There were events throughout the week for those who traveled to participate in such as local pro races for folks like Andy and I to attempt to make enough for the next entry fee and Colin Stiles always put on the annual Stileman Jam during this week. Even after Andy and I quit racing, we would go down for the jam and see some old faces we had met in years past. Colin got married a few years back and moved out to Arizona so once again, an era has passed, but the great memories live on. Here are a few images I caught at the Castleberry Trails during the Stileman Jam in 2002 if my memory serves me right.

Marylander, Jon Saunders throws down over the hip...



Long Island boy, and Stileman rider with a little racer style...



Local boy with a nothing over the big 6...



Almost a cool shot...



Someone caught this one of me over the corner set...



Hopefully more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment