Monday, March 2, 2009

Double the Dose

After returning home from Michox yesterday, I looked at the weather report and saw snow in the forecast once again. I am not sure how many of you heard me say 2 weeks ago when it was 60 some-odd degrees that we would have one more good snow and here we are. Anyway, I sent out an email to gague interest in yet another snow ride and got a couple of bites. I was hoping to meeat Pat, Poz, Tony and some dogs for a frolick in white stuff. I woke up early (5AM to be exact) and looked out the window and figured I had better get a move on as it would surely take over an hour to get to Patapsco. By doing this, I missed Tony's confirmation email saying 7:15 as which is 15 to 30 minutes later than the time we bounced around last night. I saw no one and headed out solo. The snow was dry and light to start with and I was able to carry some good speed. 5 minutes into the ride, I ate on a log over and last my specs which were atop my helmet. I also slammed on my hip which has been a thorn in my side as of late. I didnt notice the glasses for a good 20 minutes.... and on such an easy log. Grrrr... I made it my mission to put a track on each log I came across to make up for it. It was so quiet out there in the early hours. Occasionally, I would hear a dog in the distance which may or may not have been friends. I got to the dam and contemplated climbing up Cascade, but the powder was getting deep and slowing my progress so headed back. About 10 minutes from the car I spotted 3 sets of tracks, some on sketchy alternate lines and some over decent logs so I figured this was Tony and the gang. Here are a few shots I took while out.



earning my miles...


nice foot prints...


tunneling my way back...


a single track...


After returning home from my ride, I decided I would go for a hike along the Potomac on the Billy Goat trail. I know this trail well and have hiked it at night, in thunderstorms, at night in a thunderstorm and even at night with a blind girl on my back, but never in the snow. Once again, laying fresh tracks, I hiked out to see the sights and maybe get some good shots. I thought I was kinda hardcore going for an MTB ride this morning but then I saw a woman pulling her kayak out of the river after a morning paddle. Kinda put things into perspective. Things started out tame enough until I got out along the water where the wind howled and blew snow in between rocks making foot placement difficult. The sun poked its head out for a few moments, but I still had difficulty getting some good shots. After almost being blown off a rock I decided it best to skip out at the halfway point.









Spring is just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment