Thursday, February 19, 2009

Snow Day Fun + Photo Dump

It has been a while since I have checked in around here, but that doesnt mean I havent been riding. I figured I would take this opportunity to post up about a great day of riding (actually, anyday spent on the bike is pretty good in my book) while it is still fresh in my head. I spent much of monday piecing together my new ride which happens to be this fine example of an '88 Rockhopper Comp.





Tuesday brought snow and offers to ride from 3 different groups throughout the day, and with the day off, I figured what the hay, I will just ride with all 3. I arrived at Patapsco State Park at 12:30 to find no sign of group #1, so I rode solo for about an hour before heading back to the car for a gearing change and some food. 4:30pm and no sign of group #2. I finally rolled out solo again (apparently there was some cornfusion about the meeting place) and this put in 3 hours with the wheels turning which landed me back at the car at 7:35, leaving me exactly 25 minutes to hightail it over to Fairland for ride #3. Of course I am pretty nackered by now, but there was Andy and Will all geared up and ready to roll. A loop through Fairland and The Pits lands us back at the car at 11pm, homeward bound for rest and nourishment.

the mud tires hooked up great all day...






the view from the cockpit...







Andy and Will along the power lines in The Pits...




Will on the move...


...with Andy in pursuit...



over I-95...


dropping back into the pits...


Andy rolls across one of the many large, frozen puddles, hidden under a layer of snow, which claimed many a victim that night in The Pits...




under I-95...


check the cable dingle...



I will also take this opportunity to dump some other images taken from recent rides.

Dont let this big tree skinny fool you. Poz can drop the hammer and hang with the best opf them. Note the concentration and take into consideration he is squeezing by a smaller tree and there is some idiot in his face taking pictures...





A couple weekes back, a group of us had planned to do 6+ hours in Gambrill and the Shed, but mother nature had other plans. Freezing rain made going slow and interesting to say the least. 3 of us did put in 5 hours in the heinous conditions. The crunching was loud under foot and the movement of frozen foliage was like jingle bells. Roger ducks under some weighed down foliage...



climbing steady...


Rewind another couple weeks takes us back to Michox in Pa. Some snow on the ground and ice on trees made things both beautiful and exciting. We ran into some locals who showed us some of the gems Michox has to offer.






a frosty spider web...



Rewind yet another month takes us to Elizabeth's Furnace in the GW forest. Most of the pics were crummy (camera settings off) and I had a difficult time capturing just how technical the riding on the ridge is. I must also admit, I was getting in the zone and to get off the bike to capture the moment would be to lose the moment altogether. Regroup atop one of the steep climbs...



this is the second time someone has broken out with this endangered species mid-ride...



Will in a steep, rocky chute, which appears nearly flat in this photo. The tricks you can do with cameras today...

1 comment:

  1. man, you need to download your camera more often!
    nice pics -0 see you on the trail soon

    ReplyDelete