Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Fine Fredrick Fall...

It has been 5 years since I have experienced an east coast fall and I had obviously forgotten how fantastic they can be.This past week, I magically got 3 days off from work so needless to say it has been a heavy week of riding in wonderful weather. Today was just the icing on the cake, so we will start there and work our way back. I sent out an email on Thursday saying I would be out riding The Shed and got a couple of responces from the regular crew. I expected 4 or 5 guys to do nice casual ride, but 15 showed up and the pace was brutal from the time we entered the woods. We started at Hamburg Road, hit a little freeridey diversion to the blue trail, where we then made our way out to Salamander which we rode in its entirety before doubling back to hit Iceburg and topping it all off with Supersweet. Ride time was right around 4 hours. Distance means nothing when the riding gets slow and technical.

A foggy morning view from the overlook...


Where the fun begins...




Ben making his way up the easy part of a tecnical lttle grunt...


The mid-atlantic is known for being technical and rocky and the Iceburg trail does a good job of showcasing this with sharp rocks thrusting themselves 8-10 inches out of the ground. There is some fantastic work done on this trail with large rocks moved to form shelves and such in sections. This trail is a full body workout and can be frustrating if you dont keep on your toes. You either love it or hate it. Today the Iceburg claimed its usual victims of both man and machine.

Patrick parts a sea of stone and stranded riders on the infamous Iceburg trail...



Chad rides down a slab atop the 'burg...




Ben at the same spot...



At the end of Iceburg we stopped to regroup and gas up before heading over to Supersweet. Today, it wasnt my choice in fashion that everyone poked fun of, but my choice in refreshments. Cookie dough and chocolate milk kept enough juice in the tank to get me through the day. I put the camera away and tried to keep pace as we made our way down Supersweet and eventually back to the car. Along the way, I ran into a rider from my freeriding days and we were talking about old faces and the name John came up who I hadnt seen in at least 5 years. Upon my arrival at the lot there was John, getting ready to head out with Woody, another familiar face so I tagged along for another couple hours and hit some of the old school freeride stuff for old time sake.

Woody turnbars a man made stunt...



See you next time...



Last Sunday, Ted and Pottsie invited Bob and I to come out to Waynesboro, Pa and ride in Michoux for the day. We met Steve and Teresa in the lot and we began our climb. I was just along for the ride as I had no clue where we going but it was a fantastic day for sure.

Climbing in the colors...


Red, green and gold...


After locating Pottsie, we decend...



Tuesday was a night ride I saw posted on MTBR by a fellow named Ed, who had also spent a period of time on the west coast and come to find out, we had some riding buddies in common. We rode at Patapsco with about 6 others and it was a blast. First night ride I had done in several years. As things got a bit dark, it was time to decend to the dam. I went to activate my poor excuse for a riding light and the top popped spitting 2 AA batteries out in the leaves. I found the top and one battery but after several minutes of looking for the other, I called off the search and we began the sketchy decent. i sucked Ed's wheel as to be as close to the light as possible and made it down without incident. The climb back up the other side I tried the same technique, but the rider in front of me dabbed and now I was riding more or less by feel. Another riders freehub body took a dump which brought back memories of a ride in Tahoe where the same thing happened 22 miles from the car and left me hitching my way out. Met some great folks and talented riders. Bummed I left the camera at home.

Wednesday Fredders starting in Gambill and heading out to The Shed via the yellow trail before hooking into blue and riding Iceburg which Andy wanted to check out. He hated it. A couple flats slowed things down a bit, Bob burned through his food and water as I patched leaving us out until dusk. We took the road back and it started to get chilly, but so long as Bob was more miserable than I, all would be well.

Bob and Andy on the Gambrill side...

Some colors in Gambrill...



A leaf in the water...



Things get tight on Salamander...





Andy makes his way through some fine trail work on Iceburg...


Thursday was back out for another night ride with Ed and the gang on my new jalopy SS with camera in hand. About 20 minutes in slipping bars would lead to broken stem and the end of my ride. I said so long and began my hike back to the car.

I found this Specialized Rockcombo in the trash, put a seat my Machine tech stem, Ringle cages and Regal saddle on it and stripped the gears and such...

Here is a photo I found from 20 years ago on my first mountain bike, a Specialized Hardrock comp, in Boone Co, Ky. As you can see, not much has changed since then...

No comments:

Post a Comment