Thursday, February 19, 2009

Election Day Coverage...

As some of you may know, the place I call home is Washington, D.C., the city sometimes referred to as the "most powerful city in the world." For the past several weeks the city has been buzzing w/ political discussion and debate as to who is going to be "the next leader of the free world," and for those who know me, know I tend to avoid such controversy and keep my opinions to myself. As I sat at my desk on this mild, grey election day, I noticed much activity in my email box; talk of a night ride going down. The forecast looked grim, and I had my doubts as to whether this ride would ever get off the ground, and by the time I left work it had been drizzling for a solid hour. At home I checked my mail once again and everyone seemed to be pumped on getting out on the bike. Bob scooped me with barely enough time to shovel some food in my mouth and we headed out to Fairland where the dirt is tacky but the roots are wet with many hidden under a blanket of yellow leaves. Then we made our way into the Laurel Pits, which is where I really caught the MTB bug back in the mid '90s. There has been a lot of development back there in recent years, but Andy was still able to put together a good loop, my first time back there in at least 8 years. Five of us headed out, all using different lighting configurations. Everything from Planet Bike Beemers to the exotic Topeak Moonshine were tested and compared. One rider aquired the name "tea light," as his light was more of just a way for us to find him in the woods. I arrived home after our ride to find our country would have a new leader. When I awoke the next morning and left for work, I thought for some reason things would be different; that I might see people move a little slower, be a bit more courteous, and have a new vision of hope now that the election chaos had passed, but then I realized this was only true for me as I headed back to work, still smiling from the previous night's adventures.

Bear with me as this is the first time attempting to take pics at night...

A rider under the high tension wires...



Chuck aka "Tea light" on the move...


Andy in the tunnel...




Chuck under I 95...



Two riders climbing along the interstate...

No comments:

Post a Comment